Breakbeat Mechanic is my 1st solo Drum-n-Bass/Jungle/Breakbeat record. Basically, I programmed some music on a sequencer, dropped it into a computer, took it to a couple of studios in Brooklyn and played live drum tracks along to the sequenced tracks. The sequenced tracks consist of various sounds and some programmed beats. All of the breakbeats are played live , straight through with no loops or edits.
After Scotty and I consumed several beers and lots of fatty foods on tour, Scotty Hard agreed to Co-Produce the Breakbeat Mechanic album with me.
The tracks are:
1. Johnetta & June-- is named after my parents. The soundtrack to a young couple that falls in love , gets married, gets divorced......gets married AGAIN to each other and gets divorced again as well.
2. Catdaddy---is a track dedicated to pimps, players and hustlers all over the world. Maybe even more so to the pimp, player and hustler wannabes.
3. Bubblegum Ape Law----is about the American court system formed by these highly evolved monkeys. I was inspired to make this piece while watching Planet of the Apes.
4. American Black---I wrote when I was in Ireland in the county of Bray. Written from the point of an American Black hanging out in Ireland for a month.
5. ILLness---dedicated to all things ILL. Good or Bad. I think it's beautiful that in Hip-Hop culture ILL can be a good thing or a bad thing.
6. Fear of Mermaids--- I've wanted to use this title for years. I came up with the title after watching the local news in St.Louis, MO and they had this story on about a landlord kicking this woman out of her apartment because she hand painted her car. She had several different images on it, but the one that stuck out the most to me was a very nice painting of a Mermaid. I was disgusted that this old bastard kicked an artist out of her home for expressing herself creatively on her own property. Her car was lovely and in no way vulgar. As a kid I had this odd fear of Mermaids. I figured maybe this guy has a fear of Mermaids as well. I have a lot of things that inspired FOM but I don't want to take up too much of the page with it.
7. Humaniod---humors the thought that some of us only look human. It's actually a part two to Fear of Mermaids.
8. Mockery---Is about being laughed at for your failures and short-comings. It starts with laughter and at the end....the timing slips off and the laughter comes back.....mocking human error.
9. Dust---is about people and things that collect , settle and then get blown away.
10. Dad's Ka---is the soundtrack to an adventure a person has after borrowing their father's Ka ( a small car popular in Europe ). .
11. Memo 94---Is dedicated to the Memory of 1994.
Some U.S. locations to find it at are:
Criminal Records @ 466 Moreland Ave
Waterloo @ 600 A. North Lamar Blvd
Modern Music @ 2905 O' Donnel St.
Noise @ 2929 18th St.
Pure Pop @ 115 S. Winooski Ave
Gramaphone @ 2663 N. Clark
CD World @ 5706 E. Mockingbird Rd #110
DC CD @ 2423 18th Street NW
Twist & Shout @ 300 East Alameda Ave
Wax Trax @ 638 E. 13th St.
Cactus @ 2930 S. Shephard
Arons @ 1150 N. Highland
Rhino @ 1720 Westwood Blvd
Fingerprints @ 4612 B. East. 2nd St.
Yesterday and Today @ 1614 Alton Road
Other Music @ 15 E. 4th Street
Sound and Fury @ 192 Orchard Street
Music Millennium @ 3158 E. Burnside
Ozone @ 1036 W. Burnside
Amoeba @ 185 Haight St.
Amoeba @ 2455 Telegraph Ave
Lou's @ 434 N. Highway 101 Seattle
Orpheum @ 618 Broadway E.
Vintage Vinyl @ 6610 Delmar